Thursday, October 27, 2011

Divergent- Veronica Roth

                                     
Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Format: Hard Cover
Source: Borrowed from the library
Rating: 5/5




Goodreads Summary:
Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

This a sort of follow up to my rant about Insurgent. Since I have to wait for the sequel I decided to post a review of the first book in the series.
It is amazing. I cannot even put into words how amazing this book was. I wish I read it sooner. I put it off and I am sad I did. If you have not read this find a way to get a copy, borrow it, buy it. Read it immediately. The phenomenon that was The Hunger Games it is hard to find a book that stands out as dystopian have found a second wind.  Divergent in many ways is similar to other dystopians on the market and what the dystopian genre has been offering since it became a genre but what makes it stand out in the crowed is how amazing the story line is and the characters.
It starts by showing us what society has become. It shows the government suppression on society, making sure none knows what is going on outside of the government’s control.  Even with the suppression there are still fractions who belittle others.  It is set in the future but no dates given; the world has been divided into fractions including Candor who are honest, Abnegation who are selflessness, Dauntless who are daring, Erudite who are knowledgeable, and Amity who are peaceful.  At the age of 16 you are given the choice of which fraction you would like to become.  Tris the main character comes from the fraction abnegation. She must choose if she wants to stay with her family or choose another fraction at only sixteen.   Her decision will change her life forever
Four was awesome.   It took me a while to warm up to him.  I wanted to jump in the book a few times to shake him but I am glad I kept my patience and found his good side.  He pushed Tris when she needed it. At times it seemed like he was pushing her too hard but she kicked butt so it make up for his crummy behaviour when she showed him up.
The other characters we see such as Trish’s family and friends also have a huge impact.  Normally I find these minor characters do help with the flow but don’t have as much impact as they did in this story. It was amazing.  All the characters were great. They all had their own way of tying into the main story.
The last part of the book was so fast pace. I could not put it down until I finished it and now I have to wait until Insurgent comes out.  So sad. I know I said this before but if you have not read this get a copy asap and read it.


Let me know what your thoughts about Divergent. Did you like it? Dislike it?

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved Divergent~ It's really quite interesting! I loved for the moment he was introduced. LOL, but that's just me.

    Anyway, I waned to drop by and say hi to a fellow Ontarian~

    Demi @ Breaking Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete