Monday, January 16, 2012

A Monster Calls- Patrick Ness

Title: A Monster Calls

Author: Patrick Ness

Format: Audio book

Source Borrowed from the library

Rating: 5/5










This is an extraordinarily moving novel about coming to terms with loss. The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming. . . .
This monster, though, is something different. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.
It wants the truth.

Patrick Ness spins a tale from the final story idea of Siobhan Dowd, whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself. Darkly mischievous and painfully funny, A Monster Calls is an extraordinarily moving novel about coming to terms with loss from two of our finest writers for young adults.

This book has been added to my favourite list and one of my favourite books on 2012.  It was amazing. I listened to it on audio book in a few hours.  It is one I will have to re- listen to. It was that good.
This book was not at all what I thought it would be, from the summary I did not know how amazing it was going to be.  I enjoyed Patrick Ness’s The Knife of Never Letting Go so I decided to listen to this novel while I was doing my Saturday morning cleaning. WOW. I caught myself just sitting there listening, waiting. I did not want to miss a single word.  The loss that Conor feels on the book pulled at my heart strings.  At times I felt like I was sitting next to him and I want to give him a huge hug.  The ending was so sad.  I felt myself relating to Conor even thought he was only thirteen. Yes, Ness is just that good. 
I felt so many emotions while listening to this book, I laughed out loud as Conor made comments and I also felt sad and emotionally drained, especially at the end. All of the characters were excellent.  I enjoyed every single one, even his dad.  They all came together and made this novel spectacular.  I recommend this to any age group. I could easily relate to characters, everyone had flaws but as a whole they came together and provided an amazing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment