Monday, June 4, 2012

The Last Echo- Kimberly Derting

Title: The Last Echo
Author: Kimberly Derting
Source: Borrowed
Series: Yes
Rating: 3.5/5












 


Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye....

This is my favorite book of the series hands down. I liked the first one, tolerated the second one and loved the third one. I find all the books to be a little dark, but this one was pretty twisted. It was spooky and oh so good. I loved the creep factor this book had, but I enjoyed the steamy almost moments with Violet and Rafe. You know you want to read it now, just to find out what happens between Rafe and Violet.

Jay is still there unfortunately. I am not a fan of him at all. I think he is controlling and I do really wish that Violet would dump him for someone else. I vote Rafe, but that’s just me. Violet’s relationship with Jay in the last book especially has made me start to dislike the series; I hate how Violet lets him tell her what to do. I understand he is being protective but I still do not like him. I am totally team Rafe. He’s dark and moody but for a good reason. Violet also improved in this book, after the second book I was not sure if I wanted to read the third. Violet had started to grate on my nerves, but this book she redeems herself and becomes her own person outside of Jay.

I loved everyone at the centre and I felt like they are slowly becoming a bigger part of the story, the secondary characters from the previous books are still there but they are slowly fading more into the background as people from the centre become more prominent and start intertwining into the story more. The closeness she once shared with her parents is also disappearing; she is no longer the character we were introduced to in The Body Finder. She is a whole new Violet who is more mature and confident with herself as the books progress.

The ending was a total cliffhanger. I want to know what is going to happen next with Violet and the centre. It was a pretty eerie ending. It left me a lot of questions I am dying to have the answer too. I am so glad that this book made me fall in love with the series again, I wanted to be totally sucked in and completely focused on the story and the character. This book delivered just that and also left me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment