Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When The Stars Go Blue- Caridad Ferrer

Title: When the Stars Go Blue
Author: Caridad Ferrer
Source: Borrowed from the library
Series: No
Rating: 4.5/5















Winner of an International Latino Book Award

A dancer driven to succeed.
A musical prodigy attempting to escape his past.
The summer they share.
And the moment it all goes wrong.

Dance is Soledad Reyes’s life. About to graduate from Miami’s Biscayne High School for the Performing Arts, she plans on spending her last summer at home teaching in a dance studio, saving money, and eventually auditioning for dance companies. That is, until fate intervenes in the form of fellow student Jonathan Crandall who has what sounds like an outrageous proposition: Forget teaching. Why not spend the summer performing in the intense environment of the competitive drum and bugle corps? The corps is going to be performing Carmen, and the opportunity to portray the character of the sultry gypsy proves too tempting for Soledad to pass up, as well as the opportunity to spend more time with Jonathan, who intrigues her in a way no boy ever has before.        


But in an uncanny echo of the story they perform every evening, an unexpected competitor for Soledad's affections appears: Taz, a member of an all-star Spanish soccer team. One explosive encounter later Soledad finds not only her relationship with Jonathan threatened, but her entire future as a professional dancer.


Soledad is a very talented ballet dancer who feels like she an outsider at times as she is not the petite, small boned girls normally chosen for ballet. Her talent overrides this, she plans on working for the summer and auditioning for dance companies. A former student Jonathan proposes that she takes the summer to perform for a travelling drum and bugle corps instead. She relents and decides to take advantage of this unique opportunity.  

I have been wanting to read this since I read Bunheads by Sophie Flack. I have never taken any dance classes or had any ambition to but since reading Flack's book I have wanted to read another book on dance. Ferrer did not disappoint.  

This book dealt with issues that  I did not notice when I started reading. I felt like I was there with Soledad as she gets to know Jonathan and agrees to go with him on the road. Soledad has been abandoned  by her family all her life so when she meets Jonathan he soon becomes a large part of her life. Jonathan starts out being a kind, attentive boyfriend but soon he starts to get jealous of Soledad. He is not convinced that she loves him.  Taz (Baltazar) is a sexy soccer player from Spain who is travelling the same fair circuit as Soledad's dance group. 

I enjoyed the story a lot and even though the ending was sad I loved it. I was hoping that there would be a happy ending for Soledad but unfortunately there was not. I loved getting to know Taz. He was so sweet and smexy. Yes I said it and I am not ashamed.

I just want to read this book over and over again. It was sooooo good. I am looking forward to Ferrer's other books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment