Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft- Jody Gehrman


Title: Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft
Author: Jody German
Source: Sent by the author
Series: Yes
Rating: 3.5/5













Falling in love, baking a magical cake, fighting an evil necromancer—it’s all in a day’s work for Audrey Oliver, seventeen-year-old witch-in-training. When her mother goes missing and her mysterious "cousin" shows up out of the blue, Audrey knows something’s gone horribly, dangerously wrong. Now it’s up to her to get her own magical powers up to speed before everyone she loves is destroyed by the sorcerer intricately connected to her mother’s secret past.

I miss witches. It has been awhile since I have read a good witch novel so this one completely got my attention and I decided to read it.

Audrey lives with her sister and her mother. When she comes home from school one day her mother is missing and in her place is a "cousin" she has never heard of but claims to know where her mother is. Audrey soon finds out that she is a witch and so is her mother. She soon starts her witch training in order to help her mother. 

I enjoyed all the recipes throughout the book, Audrey's love of baking is not pushed aside immediately when she finds out she is a witch which really added some depth to the story. I did not feel like Audrey was a easy character to connect with, she was very impulsive and a little selfish. I found her to be completely frustrating at times and it was hard to get completely lost in the story because of this. I absolutely adored Sadie and I hope there is a lot more of her in the next books.

Audrey's family were all great. Her mother was so devoted to Audrey and her sister Meg. I thought Sadie did a really good job of making them feel like a family throughout all of the turmoil happening around the. Audrey's selfishness did rear it's ugly head a few times, she was very jealous of Meg and she was very unconcerned about Meg's feeling for Julian.

Julian was a strange one, the first time he meets Audrey he is completely brushed off by her but he goes back for more. His infatuation of Audrey is hard to understand, she completely brushed him off and treated him poorly but he is completely googly eyed over her.

The story was well written overall and there some pretty funny parts but I felt completely detached from the main character.  She did get more mature towards the end which did help a lot. The ending was really good and I had to finish it once I started it because I needed to know how the story was going to end. 

I have high hopes for the next book, the story is laid out and the back story is starting to emerge, the ending left a lot of unanswered questions that are begging to be answered and made me want to read the next book to see what happens next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment