Monday, October 29, 2012

Social Suicide- Gemma Halliday

Title: Social Suicide
Author: Gemma Halliday
Source: Bought new
Series: Yes
Rating: 4/5














Twittercide: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the "Herbert Hoover High Homepage" would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper's brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went . . . a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the homecoming queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH's resident body finder, I'm stuck trying to prove that Sydney's death wasn't suicide.

I'm starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos. . . .


The story continues with Hartley being thrown into the middle of another murder investigation. Hartley is now working on the school newspaper with Chase and when a student is caught cheating Hartley hopes she can be the one to find out why, but when she shows up at Sydney's house and finds her dead in her pool the story turns out to be a lot bigger than a student cheating on a test.

Hartley wants to convince the police that Syndey was killed and it was not a suicide like everyone thinks, and Chase is backing her up. I liked that she did not change much from Deadly Cool. Her character was very similar and her relationship with her best friend is still intact. Things with Chase are still a little awkward since they have not talked about what happened and with Sam now part of a couple it occasionally makes things a little awkward at times.

The plot is nothing too deep, but this is why I keep coming back to this series. I choose this book because of it's creep factor for Halloween. A killer running around going after high school kids is pretty scary.I found the first book creeped me out a lot more than this one did but it was good never the less.

I do suggest reading them in order, there is some information that the first books provides to clarify things in this book. I hope this series gets more buzz because I feel like not enough people have heard of it and it is really good. Plus I would love if Chapters would have this book in stock because I have had to buy both books in the states so far so please make it more popular to convince Chapters to have copies of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment