Thursday, May 23, 2013

Eleanor and Park- Rainbow Rowell


Title: Eleanor and Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Source: Borrowed from the library
Series: Standalone
Rating: 5/5





Goodreads Summary:
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
How do you explain a book like this and why it is so amazing, I don’t think it is possible. It has comic books and first love and music. It made me smile and made my heart hurt a whole lot.
This is the story of a girl name Eleanor and a boy named Park. They live in the 80s and meet my riding the bus together. Park is a Korean boy who tries to make himself invisible while Eleanor has red hair that makes her noticeable to  the people Park is trying to hide from. Park introduces Eleanor to comic books and music and they fall in love. Park is super sweet but realistic. He is not perfect, and sometimes he can be a little judgmental but overall he is a sweet guy with a awesome family. His family is not always accepting but they are a typical family and they are there for each other when they need someone. Eleanor comes from a completely different background. There is a lot of tension and betrayal.   She jumped at Park at things that at times seemed ridiculous but I understand she is only a teenager and sometimes her emotions took over.
The story does a little bit of everything to your emotions. I laughed and felt like my heart was getting stomped on constantly.  First love is a subject that is brought up in a lot of books but not always handled well. This book made it realistic and made me think of meeting my fiancee in high school. I totally thought it would be just a high school thing (I was a Eleanor and quite a pessimist. I can admit it) while my fiancee says he knew as soon as we met that I was the one and he gets a little offended that I was at all doubtful.
I recommend this book to everyone. It is a really good standalone, I felt like my questions were sort of answered but she left a lot up to your imagination with the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment