Monday, February 24, 2014

Tin Star- Cecil Castellucci

Title: Tin Star
Author: Cecil Castellucci
Source: For review
Series: Standalone
Rating: 3/5









Goodreads Summary:
On their way to start a new life, Tula and her family travel on the Prairie Rose, a colony ship headed to a planet in the outer reaches of the galaxy. All is going well until the ship makes a stop at a remote space station, the Yertina Feray, and the colonist's leader, Brother Blue, beats Tula within an inch of her life. An alien, Heckleck, saves her and teaches her the ways of life on the space station.

When three humans crash land onto the station, Tula's desire for escape becomes irresistible, and her desire for companionship becomes unavoidable. But just as Tula begins to concoct a plan to get off the space station and kill Brother Blue, everything goes awry, and suddenly romance is the farthest thing from her mind. 


I have read another book previously by this author and I thought it was pretty good so I decided to try it out. I really liked the first 2/3 of this book but I felt the ending fell a little flat.

Tula and her family are on the Prairie Rose travelling a new life. She is part of the Children of the Earth and the leader is Brother Blue. When Tula starts asking too many questions, Brother Blue leaves her for dead on the Yertina Feray, a remote space station.  Tula wakes up and is taken in by  Heckleck who is an alien.   Heckleck teaches her how to survive and thrive on the space station.

The protagonist is Tula who's goal is to get revenge on Brother Blue. She befriends Tournour and Heckleck and learns how to trade on the black market, I like Tula, I thought she was an interesting character. She does not fall into self-pity after she is left behind. She picks herself up and makes her new life at the space station. She knows how to take care of herself. Tournour was a little bit of an odd character. He seemed very cold and distant, but occasionally you could see his true feeling for Tula showing. My favorite character was Heckleck. He does not trust anyone but allows Tula to help him with some parts of his black market trades.

The world building was really good, I could imagine the space station and the planets in the galaxy.  The plot was interesting. I really enjoyed the world and I hope that the author writes more books in this world. The part that fell flat for me is the ending. I felt like this book was too short and the ending was too abrupt. The ending was sloppy and the romance really ruined it for me.  If this was a series I think I would have honestly like it more or if it was a little longer to work out the loose ends with the ending. There was a lot that was left unsaid. Overall I enjoyed this but the ending really changed my rating. I am giving this a 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment